Thursday 9 April 2015

Reinterpretation of The Umbrellas

The Umbrellas
Allie Smillie
Acrylic on canvas
April 8th 2015
My reinterpretation piece is based on the paining The Umbrellas by Leonid Afremov. The original painting was constructed of oil on canvas, and my version was acrylic, gel medium and modelling paste. In order to make it my own, I chose to change the colour scheme to make it appear more like a night time setting. I used purples and blues mostly, with heavy accents of yellow and red to make the colours pop. I wanted to do something very different and ended up loving this style and technique. I think it will benefit my portfolio to have something like this since it is something that is not the norm. Some troubles I ran into consisted of having to wait for the modelling paste to dry and blending too much. I really love the way the buildings and street lights turned out. I actually really enjoyed the mediums I used to create this piece because they added so much texture and depth to the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment